Patient advice (PALS)
Photo: Membership and Engagement Manager Sian Nelson with PALS Officers Ewelina Rivers and Ola Fraczkiewicz
The PALS team offers information and help to patients and visitors about our services. We aim to provide:
- Confidential advice and support to patients, families and their carers
- Provide information on NHS services and health related queries
- Confidential assistance to resolve concerns by working in partnership with other staff
- Listen to and record your concerns, suggestions, queries and compliments
- Explanations about the complaints procedure and information relating to organisations such as the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) that can provide independent support if you want to make a complaint about the NHS
- Offers to provide patient information or patient leaflets in an alternative format or another language
PALS act independently when handling patient and family concerns, liaising with staff, managers and, where appropriate, relevant organisations, to negotiate immediate and prompt solutions. If necessary, we can also refer patients and families to specific local or national-based support agencies.
All feedback received through the PALS team is reported to the Trust Board and to the Directorate Managers, to ensure that the information we receive from the local community about our services results in improvements to the services we offer.
Contacting the PALS team
The PALS office is open Mon–Fri, 9am–5pm. Please see the Contact Information panel to the left for details.
Outside of business hours there is an answerphone service and any messages left on either the answerphone or the PALS email service will be responded to during the next working day.
If you are seeking advice about health or NHS services please contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk.
Dealing with concerns
If you have concerns about aspects of your care or that of your relative or friend, please speak to a member of staff in the clinic or on the ward.
If the ward or clinic staff are unable to resolve your concern the following staff are also available to help you and can be contacted by staff in the clinic or on the ward:
- The Ward Sister/Charge Nurse
- The Clinical Nurse Lead (Modern Matron)
- PALS Staff
It is important to note if you are a friend or a relative and are raising concerns relating to a patient we will need to seek consent from the patient, where this is possible, before discussing their care with you.
If you are unable to resolve your concerns at a local level and you wish to make a formal complaint please refer to the compliments and concerns section.
We aim to provide a service of the highest standard and want to ensure that your visit is as pleasant as possible. To help us improve our services, we very much welcome your views about your experience with us. If you wish to make a comment or suggestions you can:
- Complete the feedback form
- Email the PALS Team at email@example.com
- Call the PALS Team on 020 3315 6727
- Visit the PALS office
Alternatively you can complete one of our comment cards which you can find in all patient areas of the hospital. Comment cards can be returned to the PALS office or posted by Freepost.
Your views do make a difference so please let us have your comments on our services and facilities. Tell us what you liked, disliked or let us know what we could do to improve our services.