Swallowing (Dysphagia) Therapy
Who will see you?
We would aim for your care to be provided by a maximum of two Speech and Language Therapists.
Your eating and drinking problems will be managed by a team of professionals, including the following:
- Speech & Language Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
This team will meet regularly to ensure that your needs are fully met.
Why are you seeing us?
Because you may have difficulties eating and/or drinking. You may be experiencing one or more of the following:
- Food sticking in your mouth or throat
- The sensation of food/drink going down the wrong way causing you to cough
- Problems chewing food
- Difficulty managing your own saliva
- Chest infections
What will happen?
The Therapist will assess the safety of the swallowing mechanism. The overall aims will be to ensure that you:
- Receive adequate nutrition and hydration
- Eat and drink safely
- Enjoy your mealtimes
How do we achieve these aims?
- We may need to modify your diet (eg introduce a soft diet and/or thicken fluids)
- Advise you about the safest position in which to eat and drink
- Carry out tests in other departments (eg Ear, Nose and Throat or the X-Ray Departments)
- Non-oral feeding may be recommended
- We will review your swallowing as appropriate