The Pharmacy Department at Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust employs a team of more than 110 staff including pharmacists, technicians and support staff.
We are currently one of the most modern and effective pharmacy departments in the UK providing a safe and efficient service to all our patients.
- Inpatient and outpatient dispensaries that provide dispensed medicines to patients admitted to the hospital and outpatients who are issued prescriptions during their clinic visit
- HIV/GUM satellite dispensaries that provide a dedicated dispensing service to patients attending the sexual health clinics at St Stephen’s Centre (Fulham Road), Nkosi Johnson Unit (Charing Cross Hospital) and 56 Dean Street (Soho)
- Dispensing service to CNWL (Central & North West London) Mental Health Trust under a service level agreement
- Distribution that provides a stock replenishment and management service to 37 wards and 17 clinics
Technical Services Production Unit
The Technical Services Production Unit prepares specialist formulations in a sterile, climate controlled environment including chemotherapy, creams and liquids which are not commercially available.
Medicines Information provides an information service to Trust healthcare professionals on all aspects of medicines use.
The Medicines Helpline is available to all Trust patients to answer any questions they may have about their medicines.
Resident Pharmacy Service
The provision of pharmacy services continues to be provided around the clock by our dedicated team of resident pharmacists who work on a rostered basis to provide an information and dispensing service outside normal working hours.
Clinical Pharmacy Services
Our Pharmacy Department comprises a number of teams of highly specialist pharmacists and technicians who provide a dedicated clinical service to all of our patients.
These highly specialist teams include:
- HIV/GUM (sexual health and Genito-Urinary Medicine)
- Anaesthetics (Theatres and Intensive Care)
- Imaging (X-ray)
- Medicine (Diabetes, Elderly Care, Neurology, Gastroenterology, Cardiology and Emergency Medicine)
- Surgery (Trauma & Orthopaedics, General Surgery, Bariatrics, Plastics & Burns, Urology and Ophthalmology)
- Women & Children (Paediatrics, Obstetrics, Gynaecology, Neonatology and Fertility)
- Mental Health
- Cancer Services
Each of our specialist teams supports the Trust by providing the following input:
- Undertaking medication history confirmation, review of prescriptions, medication counselling and discharge planning for all patients admitted to the Trust
- Ensuring the safe, appropriate and cost-effective prescribing of medicines within their designated speciality
- Attending specialist ward rounds (eg Acute Pain, Nutrition, Admissions and Microbiology) to provide other Trust healthcare professionals with advice on prescribing matters and assist with the identification and management of complex pharmaceutical needs for individual patients
- Assisting in the provision of specialist services to outpatients (eg Homecare and Medi-home services)
- Attending specialist meetings to manage Trustwide issues relating to medicines management and provide assistance in the decision making process (eg Trust Medicines Safety and Medicines Committees meetings)