Stroke & TIA services
Welcome to Stroke & TIA services
We know it can be a difficult and daunting time for people who have had a stroke, and for their families and carers.
We aim to answer any questions you or your family may have about stroke or TIA and to help support you during your treatment and as you begin your life after stroke.
Who is involved in your care?
The Stroke & TIA Service consists of 2 Stroke Physicians, 3 Neurology Consultants and a wide range of highly skilled Allied Health Professionals who make up the team including Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, Dietetics, Pharmacology and Clinical Psychology.
Our Consultants are part of the Thrombolysis (clot busting specialist service) based at our local Hyper-Acute Stroke Unit (HASU) at Charing Cross Hospital. Our Neurologists hold joint appointments at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital with the Regional Neurosciences Centre based at Charing Cross Hospital.
The department works closely with the Neurophysiology, Radiology and Cardiology departments, HASUs, and the Royal Brompton Hospital. It also provides specialist postgraduate training. The Stroke service has recently initiated participation in local, national and international research including a specific Research Nurse to help coordinate our participation in each study.
What we offer
- High level inpatient care at our Acute Stroke Unit including medical treatment and rehabilitation from a multidisciplinary team (MDT) including Medicine, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, Dietetics, Pharmacology and Psychological support services.
- A consultant-led TIA clinic (Mon–Fri) that aims to treat patients as day cases in the Medical Day Unit, assessing patients and completing complex investigations (including radiology) and same-day treatment.
- All stroke inpatients receive an appointment within 4–6 week following discharge.
- Patient and GP advice concerning access to service or patient management.
- Dr Pelly (General Medicine, Stroke/TIA & Infectious Diseases)
- Dr Morgan (General Medicine, Stroke/TIA & Dementia)
- Dr Kennedy (General Neurology, Memory Disorders & Stroke)
- Dr Janssen (General Neurology, Memory Disorders & Stroke)
- Dr Davies (General Neurology, Memory Disorders & Stroke)