Redevelopment of Children’s Services
We are currently undertaking a project to redevelop Children’s Services at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. The redeveloped services will form part of the Chelsea Children’s Hospital which will provide high quality, safe care for children and young people who attend our hospital.
In September 2011 we opened a purpose-built day case and recovery unit (Saturn Ward) for children and young people, and two brand new state-of-the-art dedicated children’s theatres.
In January 2012 we opened a further two children’s theatres, a first stage recovery unit and a brand new, purpose-built high dependency unit.
The ‘Netherton Grove’ extension, as it is known, is now open and all four dedicated children’s theatres are operational. Parent and patient feedback has been positive and we are endeavouring to set up a formal process to gather feedback.
The next phase of the Chelsea Children’s Hospital 1st Floor re-development has begun and consists of redesigning the children’s inpatients and outpatients areas—the anticipated schedule is:
- Winter 2012—new surgical/gastro ward (Mercury Ward) to open on the 1st Floor, Lift Bank C
- Winter 2012—dedicated Children’s Burns Unit to open on the 1st Floor, Lift Bank B
- Spring 2013—new Children’s Outpatients and Medical Day Unit to open on the 1st Floor, Lift Bank D
- November 2013—new adolescent ward (Jupiter Ward) to open on the 1st Floor, Lift Bank C
- December 2013—new children’s acute medical ward (Neptune Ward) and a dedicated Children’s Assessment Unit (CAU) for short-stay observation and treatment to open on the 1st Floor, Lift Bank B
This work will enable us to co-locate children’s inpatient services on one floor in the hospital, making it easier for families and visitors to access our services. Each redeveloped ward will have improved parent and play facilities as well as a specially designed chill-out room on the adolescent ward.
We are always interested in hearing your feedback and if you have any comments or questions you can contact Ria Lane (Children, Young People and Neonatal Services Service Support Manager) about the redevelopment via email@example.com or on 020 3315 2757.