The Westminster Wing (outpatients)
The Westminster Wing comprises four consulting rooms within the Private Patients Unit, and several other consulting rooms located within specialist departments in the main hospital—this means that the appropriate test equipment is always close to hand.
We endeavour to offer a very high standard of customer care. Our patients receive individualised care and respect for their dignity is maintained at all times.
We believe that it is important to provide high quality patient information—leaflets are available as appropriate.
The Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Pharmacy offers pharmaceutical services to all hospital inpatients and outpatients. To ensure your safety, medications are dispensed by our pharmacy robot and checked by a pharmacist.
The outpatient dispensary is open 9am–6pm Monday to Friday and 10am–12 noon at weekends.
Our private outpatient service has a dedicated phlebotomy service. Pathology specimens are tested with fast turnaround times—most results are made available in 24–48 hours. The department's services include:
- Histology and cytology including smear testing
- Haematology including full blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate and coagulation tests
- Biochemistry including thyroid functions, urea and electrolyte, lung function test and tumour markers
- Serology including auto antibodies and rheumatoid test
The department also has newly launched tests available such as complex prostate specific antigen, rapid tuberculosis (24 hours) and brain natriuretic peptide.
Results are sent electronically to your electronic patient record where your consultant can access the information at all times.
The Imaging Department is equipped with the latest CT and MRI scanners, ultrasound and digital screening units. Our computerised imaging system (PACS) allows reports and images to be sent and viewed electronically.
Your consultant will usually be notified of the outcome of your procedure within 24 hours. Your GP can refer you directly for all imaging procedures. Our services include:
- Dental imaging
- Digital fluoroscopy/contrast studies
- MRI & CT scans (after discussion with a radiologist)
- Bone density scans
- Nuclear medicine
The Westminster Wing has access to a state-of-the-art Endoscopy Unit adjacent to our Imaging Department where we specialise in diagnostic services as required as a part of your treatment plan. We perform a broad range of services including:
- Gastroscopy examination of the oesophagus, stomach and duodenum
- Sigmoidoscopy examination of the lower bowel, biopsy and polyp removal
- Colonoscopy large intestine examination for inflamed tissue, abnormal growths, ulcers and bleeding
- Capsule endoscopy examination of the small bowel via an ingestable disposable camera in a pill
- CT colonography visual examination of the bowel using CT scanning
We offer clinical measurement procedures including:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Exercise tests
- Lung function tests
- Nerve conduction studies