Safeguarding Children Declaration 2011
20 December 2011
As Required by Monitor
The Independent Regulator of NHS Foundation Trusts
21 November 2011
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is fully committed to ensuring that all patients including children are cared for in a safe, secure and caring environment. As a result a number of safeguarding children arrangements are in place.
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust meets statutory requirements with regard to the carrying out of Criminal Records Bureau checks – all staff employed at the Trust undergo a CRB check prior to employment and those working with children undergo an enhanced level of assessment.
- The Trust has a robust training strategy in place with regard to delivering safeguarding training to ensure that all staff are trained to the appropriate level required for their role. The Trust has reviewed its training for safeguarding and has a plan for the forthcoming year.
- The Board of Directors receives an annual report on child safeguarding and has considered safeguarding at a Board Seminar already this year.
- The Trust has an audit plan for safeguarding for 2011/12.
- The Trust’s child protection policies and systems are up-to-date and robust, including a process for following up children who miss outpatient appointments and a system for flagging children about whom there are safeguarding concerns.
- The Trust has named professionals who lead on issues in relation to safeguarding. They are clear about their roles, and have sufficient time and receive relevant support and training to undertake their roles, which include close contact with other social care and healthcare organisations.
- The Trust has a named doctor, nurse, midwife and liaison health visitor with responsibilities for safeguarding:
- Named Doctor: Dr K Aminu
- Named Nurse: Ms S Cain
- Named Midwife: Ms W Allen
- Named Liaison Health Visitor: Ms S Hamilton and Ms Harriet-Ann Thomas
- The Chief Nurse and Director of Patient Experience and Flow is the Executive Director lead for safeguarding and chairs the Trust Childrens Board.
- The Trust is a member of the local Safeguarding Childrens Boards of Hammersmith and Fulham and Kensington and Chelsea.
This declaration was approved by the Trust’s Board of Directors at a meeting of the Board of Directors on 26 January 2012.